Preparator - Waikato Museum
Permanent - Full Time
Preparators are at the front-line of museum delivery, using their high-level skills to construct and install a diverse range of physical exhibits.
They’re crucial to the operation of Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato and what it offers visitors.
We have a rare vacancy in our Collections and Exhibitions Team for a preparator to join us at one of the region’s premier cultural destinations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning and undertaking exhibit construction, installation and de-installation of Museum exhibitions. In addition you will assist in the maintenance of exhibitions to the museum’s particular standards.
This is a challenging and varied role for someone who may have previously worked in construction or building maintenance, or within a museum, art gallery, theatre or film installation environment.
Our ideal candidate will have;
- Proven experience in design, build and installation of high quality metal and carpentry components
- An excellent working knowledge of workshop tools and equipment
- Strong planning skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage a number of projects or tasks at one time
- Imagination, and an open-minded responsive and ‘can do’ attitude.
- A knowledge of the ethics and principles of working in a museum
- Knowledge of photography, video production and audio-visual set up would be an advantage
- Experience of art/object handling is also preferred
- Sound verbal and written communication skills including computer literacy,
- A high level of physical fitness and health
- A full clean NZ driver’s license
Waikato Museum is staffed by a diverse, lively and friendly group of museum professionals who work closely together and strive to deliver a world-class museum experience.
This is a seven day roster role (working one weekend in five). This role will be involved with a variety of tasks where no two days are the same If this role sounds like it’s for you, we would love to hear from you.
All candidates will be notified of the outcome on their application via email. Short-listed candidates will be required to complete an interview process, reference checks, pre-employment medical and drug assessments and Ministry of Justice or Police vetting check.
For further information refer to the position description available on our careers website at https://hamilton.careercentre.net.nz/JobPlease note this role is being sourced directly and we are not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies.
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Closing Date: Sunday, 20 August 2017